Covid-19 Updates

Fremont Seal

COVID-19: Updates & resources for our community members

This page is updated daily to keep Fremont residents and visitors informed of how COVID-19 is impacting the Town of Fremont.  We are trying to make information available as quickly as possible as we transition to reduce face-to-face contact and help to slow the spread of the virus.


We continue to actively monitor the COVID-19 situation, which is rapidly evolving. The Town is committed to the continued health and optimal safety of our residents as well as our employees, and we intend to do our part to “flatten the curve” of the COVID-19 pandemic. To that end, in consultation with our Emergency Management Director and other Public Safety Services, we have decided that effective immediately, all of the Town’s Offices will be closed to the public until further notice.

However, we will still be working to serve residents. We intend to do our best to operate as a “VIRTUAL TOWN HALL.” In today’s world, most of the transactions for our residents can be done online or arranged via phone, email, or drop box.  Resident questions can and will be answered via phone or email.  As a last resort, you may schedule an appointment in Town Hall with the appropriate Town personnel to complete your transaction if needed. Town employees will be working in various capacities (in very limited numbers as necessary)—and will continue to be at your service as best we can.

FIRE, EMS AND POLICE: Of course, our incredible Police and Fire Rescue Departments will continue to serve the residents of our Town on a “business as usual” basis; however, we ask that you please keep all non-emergency calls to a minimum so that they may devote their time to those residents in need of emergency services. If you have non-emergency COVID-19 related questions, please call 2-1-1 (a state hotline manned 24/7 specifically for such questions).  The lobby at the Safety Complex is locked and there is a Blink camera system installed that is motion sensitive.  If you approach the door and speak, it will activate.  Someone will be with you shortly (M-F 8-4).  If you have a true emergency situation, please call 911.  You can also do this from the red phone at the right of the Complex door.  It is a direct dial to NH 9-1-1 as soon as you lift the receiver.

PUBLIC MEETINGS: With the exception of the Board of Selectmen, all other meetings have been recessed or cancelled.  Watch the CALENDAR on the Town website.  More information will be forthcoming about meetings in April and beyond.  This is a very fluid situation.  We are trying to keep all public gatherings to less than 10 people and observe social distance of at least 6 feet.  We ask that you watch us from home on FCTV 22 or Vimeo (posted just after each meeting closes).  If you have questions, we will have an email address posted to send them in and we will try and address them on air.

Finally, please know that we are monitoring all local developments related to COVID-19, and as your Town Officials, we are committed to timely and ongoing communication about any and all changes to our operating status as well as any recommendations to the public from public health and other government officials.

Executive and Emergency Orders from the Governor of NH


WEBSITE: The Town website address is, and we encourage you to visit the website frequently for new information and updates.  Please use the “Ask a Question button” in the Citizen Action Center on the Fremont Homepage.

TOWN HALL MAILING ADDRESS: Should you need mail anything to Town Hall, the address is as follows:

(Specify which Department, if possible)  Fremont Town Office, PO Box 120, Fremont  NH  03044-0120

DROP BOXES: At the front entrance to Town Hall, there is a secure, green mailbox where you may drop off checks (NO CASH) or other paperwork. Should your paperwork not fit, please refer to the list of contacts below to make alternative arrangements.

TOWN HALL GENERAL TELEPHONE NUMBER:  (603) 895 2226  (See contacts below for more specific extensions).  Our lines do jump to next available, so dialing in to the main number will allow you to access any department or extension. 

TRANSACTIONS: The following is a list of the transactions most often performed for our residents with some directions as to how each may be accomplished until the COVID-19 crisis passes and we can safely re-open our doors:

Renewal of a car registration: Should be done online via our website portal:

Registration and title transfers of a newly purchased vehicle:  Schedule an appointment by contacting the Town Clerk at  The DMV has granted extensions on temporary registrations through April 30, 2020.  Please review their press release below. 

PLEASE NOTE, ALL 20 DAY TEMPORARY PLATES IN THE STATE OF NH ISSUED AFTER MARCH 1, 2020 HAVE NOW BEEN EXTENDED TO APRIL 30, 2020.  This should help with all new vehicle purchases in NH, you DO NOT have to register until April 30th.  If you have a temporary plate which now expires on April 30, 2020, you will not be given an appointment at this time. Appointments will be granted for emergencies only.

Copies of vital records  Town Clerk Nicole Cloutier      895 8693 x  307

Tax payments:  mail (checks ONLY and post dates will be honored as the date of payment); or dropping your check in the secure drop box outside of Town Hall (no cash).  Contact Tax Collector Nicole Cloutier with questions or 895 8693 x 307.  Please note address and/or map/lot on your check.

Dog licensing: Renewals can be done online at

Registration of new dogs:  Leave a copy of your rabies certificate and all of your contact information (name, address and cell phone number) with a check in the drop box or send in by mail.  Fees are $7.50 for spayed/neutered per dog; $10 for unaltered, and $2.00 for seniors.  Contact Town Clerk Nicole Cloutier at or 895 8693 x 307

Boat licensing: Renewals can be done with the Town Clerk or the State of NH.  The pre-printed forms do not have the updated fees, so please contact NH DMV or the Town Clerk for more information before leaving off your checks.

Voter Registration: Contact Town Clerk at

Abatement applications:  Can be downloaded from the Town’s website at Contact Jeanne Nygren at or 895 2226 x 303.  The deadline has passed for the 2019 tax year, so this doesn’t apply until December 2020 tax bill cycle.   We can mail you this form upon request as well.

Property Record Cards: Can be sent out by mail if you need it, and can be accessed all the time online at  Contact Jeanne, Kathy or Heidi in the Selectmen’s Office to have any of our forms mailed or emailed out to you.

Filing for and renewals of Exemptions and Credits: Information for verification or renewal can be sent by mail or dropped off in the drop box; questions can be directed to Kathy Clement,  895 2226 x 302.  Forms can be downloaded from  Print and fill out and submit with necessary documentation (which we will return to you).  We can also mail these to you.  The deadline by Statute is April 15th annually.

Intents to Cut and Intents to Excavate: Can be mailed to the Selectmen’s Office or scanned/sent to once completed.  Please be sure your form is complete and includes an email and phone contact.  

Verification of Owners on Abutters List:  Already created abutters lists can be emailed for ownership verification to  Contact the Selectmen’s Office if you need assistance putting together a list or have access to the most-current information needed.

Building Inspections:  Exterior inspections and life safety matters addressed as conditions permit.  All other inspection requests shall be directed to the Inspector at  895 3200 x 309

Building permits: Permit applications are available on the Town website and will be accepted via email, mail or drop box outside Town Hall. Payments are to be made by check only. Should you need to drop off plans or applications which will not fit in the drop box, please contact 895 3200 x 309 or

Building plan reviews: Will be accepted via email, mail or drop box outside Town Hall. If necessary, we will meet individuals by appointment only to go over plan questions; please contact or  895 3200 x 309.

Burial plot sales and Internments: contact Shawn Perreault at or 603 770 8929 to arrange.  Spring burials anticipated after April 1.

Driveway Inspections:  Permits are now on be on the Town website.  You can also call Heidi, Jeanne or Kathy to have one mailed to you.  Fill out the application form and leave with $65.00 fee in the drop box.  Please note there are two types, one for new construction, and one for paving/repaving of a driveway. 

Oil burner permits are a State 3-part form, and you will need to make a request for them.  Send an email to and we will mail it to you or make arrangements to get it to you.  Fee is $65.00.  Can be dropped off with fee in drop box.  Be sure to leave all of your contact information.  

Road concerns or questions, Snow Plowing, Roadway drainage: Contact Road Agent Leon Holmes Jr at 603 300 7430.  The Highway Department continues to work normal hours (7:00 am to 3:30 pm), observing appropriate social distancing.

Trash / Recycling:  To log a repair ticket for a toter, get another recycling bin, or general recycling questions about pickup, acceptable items or schedules, contact Jeanne Nygren 895 2226 x 303 or Kathy Clement 895 2226 x 302.

Waste Management is collecting trash and recycling on their normal schedule, observing appropriate social distancing.

To file Land Use Board submissions (including Planning Board, Zoning Board, Conservation Commission), or to review property files, site plans, subdivision plans, etc. please contact Leanne Miner to arrange.

GIS/map questions / Tax and Assessor's maps: visit our website or contact Jeanne or Kathy

Selectmen’s Meetings / Agendas or follow-up items contact Heidi Carlson 895 2226 x 301

Fremont Public Library – Closed to the public but currently doing Bookmobile deliveries and curbside pickup by appointment at the Library.  Email Library Director Eric Abney at (email is the best method) or call 895 9543 and leave a message.  

Please email Eric at with requests and we will establish a time for outside pickup. You can view our catalog here. Our bookmobile service is still running if you can't get out. Thank you for your patience and understanding and stay tuned for future updates.

All library programming is suspended through April 4, this includes storytime aCopynd exercise classes. We will be updating this information as needed, so please check back.  You can return items as usual in the book drop, and make arrangements for pickup of requested materials by calling 895 9543.

Town fee schedule if you need to submit a check with a permit application:


Have a question for a particular department? Please contact the following staff members either via email or by phone (895 2226, or number and specific extensions noted below):

Tax questions, Marriage Licenses, Vehicle, Boat, Dog, Voter Registrations: Nicole Cloutier or 895 8693 x 307 (Email preferred).

Assessing Department questions:  Jeanne x 303 or Kathy x 302

Building Department questions: Building Inspector Larry Miner 895 3200 x 309


Emergency Management Director – Mark DeVeber

Fire Rescue – Non-emergency 895 9634

Health Officer - April Phelps  895 2226 X 301 or email Health Officer    Consider reviewing the Health Officer's Presentation from the March 19th Selectmen's Meeting (click open the file attachment at the bottom of this page).  It is very informative.

Highway Department questions:  Road Agent Leon Holmes Jr  603 300 7430

Planning Department questions: Land Use AA Leanne Miner 895 3200 x 306

Budget and Finance questions: Heidi Carlson 895 2226 x 301

FCTV:  Coordinator Bill Millios   895 3200 x 312

Police non-emergency:  Station 895 3425 or 895 2229       Rockingham County Sherriff's Department 679 2225

Welfare questions: Herb Tardiff   483 2881

Of course, should you have a general question and you are not sure who to call, please contact our Administration officials as follows:

Town Administrator Heidi Carlson:  895 2226 x 301

Admin Asst to Selectmen:  Jeanne Nygren  895 2226 x 303

Selectmen’s Clerk:  Kathy Clement  895 2226 x 302

If you do not have internet service, please call us and we will be creative in finding a way to help!

Other fluid updates – Please check back to the Town’s homepage often at

The Easter Egg Hunt (April 5) has been cancelled.  We hope to do this at a later date.

The Rabies Clinic (April 11) has been cancelled.  May happen at a later date.

We are still considering how/when we may be able to do Bulky Day, Litter Free Fremont, and the Memorial Day Parade.

New Hampshire residents with questions should call the following phone numbers:

General questions on COVID-19:  2-1-1    Callers will reach a phone menu, and then select the ‘COVID’ option to reach a live operator.  Callers should expect to wait patiently for many minutes to reach an operator.

To immediately report any suspect cases of COVID-19 (via exposure or travel) to the DPHS at: During the day, call 603-271-4496 (office hours from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM) or 603-271-5300 (only after hours).  Caller should expect to leave a message with an operator, or leave a voice mail, and wait patiently for a return call within a few hours.

Direct sick people (i.e. symptomatic with fever, cough or shortness of breath) should call their healthcare provider.  If they don’t have a provider, they can call an urgent care clinic and ask for an evaluation. 

ALWAYS REMEMBER THE BASICS:  Please wash your hands often with soap and water. 

Stay home if you are ill.  Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, throw it away immediately, and WASH your HANDS.

For more information, please visit the DHHS COVID-19 webpage at


FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE              Wednesday, March 18, 2020                  State Joint Information Center           (603) 223-6169


Due to concern for the health and safety of its customers and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, the New Hampshire Division of Motor Vehicles will transition to phone and online services starting Thursday and limited appointment only services starting Monday to allow for proper social distancing as defined by the Center for Disease Control.  Walk-in operations at all locations will pause Thursday and Friday, March 19 and 20, to allow staff to train and prepare facilities for appointment based operations. Online, phone, and mail services will not be interrupted.

Walk-in services will be available by appointment only and consolidated to five locations:  Concord, Dover, Manchester, Newport, and Twin Mountain.  Customers can call (603) 227-4000 to schedule an appointment. Customers should take advantage of the DMV’s online services, including online driver license renewal, ID renewals, and online ticket pay at  All driver license road exams are canceled until Friday, April 3, 2020.

NH DMV 20-day plates as well as NH authorized dealer 20-day plates, issued on or after February 26, 2020 have been given an automatic extension through April 30, 2020. These extensions do not apply to vehicle registration renewals. Please visit your town website for vehicle registration renewal options.

NH DMV non-commercial driver licenses and non-driver identification cards that are expired or set to expire between March 1, 2020 and April 30, 2020 are eligible for a 6-month extension. Customers should take advantage of this option by calling (603) 227-4020. An applicable renewal fee will be due at the time of the call. To learn more about 6-month license extensions, please go to

This situation is very fluid, and we are monitoring State updates and will be posting notices as quickly as possible.  We are transitioning all other town services to appointment only.  We encourage you to call us for anything you need, or to send email or use electronic/internet services wherever possible.  We can mail or email you many of our documents or information as needed.  We want to limit public gatherings and are reviewing our meeting schedule and postponing or cancelling whenever possible.  There is a drop box outside the front door of the Town Hall and the Safety Complex for you to leave any applications, forms or other information.  Please check the website at for updates; or call 895 2226 x 301 or email with any questions or need for services. 

We are taking these drastic measures because we are committed to a safe environment for our staff and the entire Fremont community.  Please continue to check this site often as it is updated multiple times every day.

NEWS RELEASE Thursday March 26, 2020

Released by:                Gordon J. MacDonald, Attorney General

Subject:                       New Hampshire Attorney General’s Charitable Trusts Unit Issues Scam Alert as a result of the COVID-19 Outbreak

Contact:                      Kate Spiner, Director of Communications         / 603-573-6103                                           

Concord, NH – Attorney General Gordon J. MacDonald urges people in New Hampshire to be on the alert for charitable giving and consumer product scams related to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Scammers may take advantage of fears related to COVID-19 outbreak by selling bogus “treatment” and “prevention” products, establishing fake charities, and sending seemingly legitimate emails with malicious links or attachments.

Be Careful When Making Charitable Donations

Before making donations to support those who are ill or suffering financially because of the COVID-19 outbreak, do your homework:

If the appeal claims to be from a charity, make sure that it is registered with the Attorney General’s Charitable Trusts Unit. The list may be found here:

If the appeal is for an individual, think hard about donating unless you know the person needing help and that person’s circumstances; Do not let anyone rush you into making a donation;

Check that you are dealing with a legitimate charity or individual and not an “imposter” with a deceptively similar name;

Do not assume that social media recommendations for donations are legitimate.

Beware of False Claims and Deceptive Marketing

Do not be tempted by claims and advice on social media and online websites that certain products or treatments can cure or prevent COVID-19.

There currently are no prescription or over-the-counter pills, vaccines, oils, lotions, or other products available to treat or cure COVID-19. Always check with your health care provider before buying such products.

Be on the Lookout for Phony CDC Emails 

Be careful about opening emails claiming to be from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or from others claiming to have information about COVID-19.  Clicking on links or attachments could cause a computer virus to infect your device.

Stay Informed:  For up-to-date information about the COVID-19 outbreak in New Hampshire visit:        

To report a charitable giving scam, contact the Charitable Trusts Unit: Phone: 603-271-3591         Email:


To report a business-related scam, contact the Consumer Protection Hotline:       Phone: 1-888-468-4454              Email: