Marriage Licenses Information

Marriage Licenses in New Hampshire

All persons wishing to be married in the State of New Hampshire must complete a Marriage License application with any City or Town Clerk regardless of their place of residence. This includes out-of-state residents. Once the marriage license is issued, the couple is free to marry within any city or town in the State of New Hampshire.

A marriage certificate is a copy of the record certified by the City or Town Clerk or by the Registrar of the Vital Records and Health Statistics and serves as evidence of the fact of marriage.

Application Procedure

Both individuals must appear at the same time in the Office of the Town Clerk. However, if either party (or both) is a member of the armed forces, he or she shall forward an affidavit of marriage intentions, prepared by the armed forces legal representative, to the Town Clerk, if he or she cannot appear in person.

Individuals may apply for a marriage license in Fremont during regular office hours.  We kindly ask that you arrive at least 45 minutes prior to closing in order to complete all required documentation. To aid you in this process, please print out the Worksheet for Preparing Intention of Marriage and have it completed prior to visiting the Town Clerk's Office to apply for your license.

Identification Requirements:

  • No photo or electronic copies
  • Proof of age (example - driver's license, passport, certified birth certificate)
  • Photo identification (example - driver's license or passport)
  • Certified copy of a death certificate of a former spouse, if either applicant is widowed
  • Certified copy of a final divorce decree, if either applicant is divorced
  • Certified copy of a civil annulment decree, if the applicant's previous marriage was annulled (This is a court document).
  • Documents that are not in English must be accompanied by a translation that has been signed by the translator.  A notary must witness the translator's signature.


A male or female who has reached the age of 18 can marry without parental permission. A female between the age of 13 and 17 years and a male between the age of 14 and 17 years can be married only with the permission of their parent (guardian) and a waiver.  A female below the age of 13 and a male below the age of 14 are not allowed to marry under any condition.


Marriage is not permitted in New Hampshire between people who are related by blood as first cousins or in any more direct lineage.

Marriage may be performed by:

  • A Justice of the Peace commissioned in New Hampshire;
  • A minister of the gospel in New Hampshire who has been ordained to the usage of his denomination, resides in New Hampshire and is in regular standing with the denomination;
  • A minister within his parish, residing outside New Hampshire, but having a pastoral charge wholly or partly in New Hampshire;
  • Jewish Rabbis who are citizens of the United States and reside in this state;
  • Quakers;
  • A deacon in the Roman Catholic Church ordained according to the usage of his denomination; or
  • Judges of the United States, a US magistrate judge residing in this state pursuant to federal law, 
  • A clergyman who are not ordained, and non-resident Justices of the Peace, ministers and Jewish Rabbis, after being licensed by the Secretary of State.

Waiting Period

There is no waiting period in the State of New Hampshire.

Validity of License

The license is valid for use for 90 days from the date of the application.


The fee to apply for a marriage license is $50.00. Payment can be made with cash, bank check, or a money order.


Any person shall be guilty of a Class B Felony if he/she willfully and knowingly makes any false statements on an application for a certified copy of a vital record (NH RSA 126.24).

Certified Marriage Certificate

After you are married, please wait seven (7) to ten (10) days before applying for a copy of your marriage certificate. 

You may either come into our office or print the Request for Marriage Certificate and send

$15.00 (money order or bank check) to:  

Town of Fremont
Town Clerk
PO Box 120
Fremont NH  03044-0120

Please enclose a SASE.